Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Five Questions For: Prajwal Parajuly By PAMPOSH RAINA




Prajwal Parajuly.

Courtesy of Marzena Pogorzaly Prajwal Parajuly.

Prajwal Parajuly is an Indian writer whose first book “The Gurkha’s Daughter,” a collection of short stories on Nepalese-speaking people, was recently released in India. He spoke to India Ink from the Jaipur Literature Festival.
Q.
What are the occupational hazards of being a writer?
A.
When there is a lot of adulation coming in a short time — one doesn’t feel grounded. Second, I would say, a lot of people assume you don’t have a nine-to-five job. My health has taken a back seat. I write late at night.
Q.
What is your writing ritual?
A.
I write only when I think. I do a major chunk of writing in my hometown of Gangtok [in Sikkim state]. I did my first draft with a multitude of ellipses.
Q.
Why does the Jaipur Literature Festival matter to you?
A.
When I was invited, I was told by people that you are a debut author and you can’t miss the Jaipur Literature Festival. I feel I am the most insignificant author here. But I am enjoying the festival.
Q.
How do you deal with critics?
A.
I have learned that a lot of praise is unmerited and so is a lot of criticism. I try not to take it seriously. You can’t be 28 and writing considerably!
Q.
Why should we read your book?
A.
Buy it because the cover is beautiful and would look great on your mantelpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment