Total Pageviews

Monday, March 15, 2010

Zip, zap, zoom on wheels

T. SARAVANAN

"Regular skating improves blood circulation and increases the heart pumping rate. As air intake is more, your respiratory system gets overhauled," Chockalingam said.

The Vancouver Winter Olympics has had its effect on me. Images of men and women slithering across the floor in a silken movement still haunt me. Though I have not tried skating even once in my life, it does not mean I never will.

A chance meeting with T.N.C.M. Chockalingam, the secretary of the Tamil Nadu Roller Skating Association and Madurai unit, helped me get information on effort and time needed to reap benefit from skating.

Like so many other games, skating is not as easy as one thinks it to be. But one thing is sure. Skating is one of the “most stylish games.”

Initially in Madurai, none took it seriously and it was looked at as a hobby. Only in the late 80s awareness on skating was spread and it has picked up well as they see plenty of opportunities to excel in this field,” shares Mr. Chockalingam.

Health benefits

“Regular skating improves blood circulation and increases the heart pumping rate. As air intake is more, your respiratory system gets overhauled,” he adds.

Impressed by the brief, I straightaway head to the initial warm up session that includes jogging, skipping and stretching exercises for abdomen, thighs, knees, elbow, arm, neck, chest and back.

“Once on the skates, positioning of the legs becomes important. There is a specific sliding exercise to equip better. The hand swing and steady head position also help in bettering hand-head coordination which is vital for skating,” Mr.Chockalingam explains the steps to avoid injury.

I am also asked to do sit ups to improve the thigh muscles which would in turn help me retain the balance when on roller skates. Next, I hold my hands in a bow shape.

As I snuggle my feet in the roller skates, my legs wobble horribly, given the unfamiliarity of the territory. Mr. Chockalingam comes to my rescue quickly locking the wheels.

To make myself comfortable, I walked a while on the locked wheels and managed pretty well. But before I could fancy any further, I came crashing down in a jiffy.

Advising me to hold my legs in V-shape and slow down, he shares: “Generally, we don't allow trainees to move freely on the skates on Day One. It can force them out of the game if they get hurt. So, it has to be gradual. It is not dangerous either, as even a three year-old can excel in this sport. Moreover, it is better to do cycling, swimming and gym training to achieve better results.”

After a 90-minute ordeal, I realise nothing in life comes easy. But there is no dearth of fun either in trying it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment